Monday, October 25, 2010

Traditional food

In this article, I want to write about Oyaki, a famous food of my hometown, in Nagano prefecture. Oyaki are a local specialty that has been eaten in Nagano prefecture since long ago.  They are made by kneading flour -based dough, filling it with ingredients, and then steaming and baking the resulting dumpling according to the chef's preference.  There are a wide variety of variations, and common ingredients include eggplant, mushrooms, red bean past, stir-fried mountain vegetables, dried daikon radish, and spicy vegetables. 
Nagano Prefecture's steep mountains and cold climate made rice cultivation difficult and produced poor yields in pre-industrial Japan. Farmers in Nagano turned to buckwheat. The resulting flour was then mixed with water and stuffed with local wild vegetables and seasoned with soy sauce and salt.
We can buy in Nagano everywhere from supermarkets to oyaki specialty shops. It is reasonable. Also, we will able to make it at home.
My grandmother often makes it when I am back my hometown. I help her, but I can not remember how to make it completely. I want to make it for her in future.



No comments:

Post a Comment