Monday, October 25, 2010

Traditional food in my hometown

I would like to talk about Misokatsu, a specialty food of my hometown, Nagoya city, in Aichi prefecture. “Miso” means a substance made from beans, used in Japanese cooking. “Katsu” means a thick slice of meat, especially lamb or pork, which is cooked and served with the bone still attached.”Misokatsu” is “tonkatsu” (Deep fried pork cutlet) with Miso-sauce. This sauce is well known sauce from Nagoya region in Japan. It is a one of the most popular dishes in Nagoya. I wish you could enjoy eating “Misokatsu” more with my article.

First, I will explain about “Misokatsu” recipe. Cut the edge of pork chops in several places. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the pork. Put flour lightly on the pork. Dip the pork in beaten egg. Put bread crumbs on the pork and pat them well. Fry the pork in 320F oil for a few min. Turn over the pork chops and fry a few more min. Take out the pork and put them on a paper towel to drain the oil. Cut each “tonkatsu” into small pieces. Serve shredded cabbage. Put miso sauce on a “tonkatu”. “Tonkatsu” becomes “Misokatsu”.

Second, I want to introduce a famous restaurant in Nagoya. Do you know “Yabaton”? It is a very famous restaurant in Nagoya. If you go to there, you can eat genuine “misokatus”.This is the way they make in Nagoya. You can put miso sauce over the tonkatsu, where everywhere else just uses regular “tonkatsu sauce”.

Finally, I am very proud of having “MIsokatsu” in my hometown. Its reasonable in price and makes “Misokatsu” more familiar. I wish “Misokatsu” would become more popular and more and more people learn about Nagoya.

No comments:

Post a Comment