Monday, October 25, 2010

Decchiyoukann



Decchiyoukann
1) In this article, I want to write about Decchiyoukann, a specially food in my hometown, Omihachiman city Shiga prefecture. Decchi means a boy who took service under craftsmen or traders in the old days. Youkann means a sweet bean jelly. Decchiyoukann is also made in Fukui prefecture, Kyoto prefecture and Mie prefecture but the origin of name and recipe is few different each other. I wish you could enjoy eating Decchiyoukann more with my article.
2) Decchiyoukann is a kind of Japanese cake. When you make Decchiyoukann, you use Koshian which is smooth bean paste and Zyousinnko which is a powder of Uruchi raice. You mix Koshian, Zyousinnko and water and we wrap it with bamboo leaves. Next we steam it. Decchiyoukann has scent of bamboo leaves and simple taste. The shape is rectangle and flat.
3) I introduce history of Decchiyoukann. In the old days, Decchi who is a boy living-in apprentice bought Youkann as a souvenir when they came back their hometown. So it is called Decchiyoukann. The shape is flat so they can carry easily and leaves of bamboo have an antibacterial activity so they can carry long distance. Decchiyoukann is delicious and inexpensive so it was a representative of a popular cake.
4) Decchiyoukann is popular in my city. It is sold at supermarket. The taste is not too sweet so it is not heavy. I often eat it with Japanese tea. If you eat Decchiyoukann I recommend this way. Please try it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment